Monday, February 22, 2010

Ava-tarded

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been hearing the hype about "Avatar Depression Syndrome". There are people out there, apparently a lot of them, who are getting suicidal after seeing Avatar. And not because they can't hook up with the 7-foot tall natives of the movie. (I guess I'm the only one who likes freakishly tall men.) No, it's because the make believe world of Pandora is sooo beautiful and our world pales in comparison. Really? I mean I understand the feeling of seeing something so magical and the heartbreak that comes from knowing it will never exist. The first time I saw Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, I didn't leave my room for 3 days. I mean who wouldn't want an orange-faced, green-headed, pot-bellied midget making an edible world for you to live in? I don't think anyone would turn down that paradise. (On a side note, TLC's "Little Chocolatiers" has helped that dream a little) But isn't the entire point of going to the movies to get lost in make believe, since reality stinks most of the time? We don't want to pay $20 to see something we can see in everyday life. If we want real life, we can watch the endless supply of reality shows on TV for free. Although I remain unconvinced that the cast of "Jersey Shore" actually exists in real life. And if they do, I would think there would be a far larger number of people depressed about the fact that they do exist than the fact that Pandora doesn't.

2 comments:

  1. That is great!! Keep them coming - you are keeping my sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though my husband fell asleep with his hand in the popcorn and snored so loud I thought I was going to die, I really really liked this not because of the storyline but because of the effects. They were so amazing. I completely agree with your post.

    -Sonya

    *note to self* there's a reason why my husband and I don't go to movies.....

    ReplyDelete